The inspiration for this dish was a delicious jam of roast peaches & vermouth that our friend and soon-to-be guest chef Kylee Newton produces for London delis on her Newton & Pott label. It is superb, and we thought the flavours perfect for a dessert. At our Thyme’s Table dinner we served this with a semi-freddo flavoured with the rose geranium ‘Attar of Roses,’ a sesame seed praline & sweet tahini; but this is equally delicious with a simple but good vanilla ice-cream or a well set panna cotta.
- 4 gorgeously ripe peaches
- 250-300ml good English Vermouth, we used Blackdown Silver Birch Vermouth
- Butter a wide ceramic ovenproof dish, and place the peaches stalk-side down.
- Roast for 5 minutes and then add the vermouth, pouring over each peach.
- Baste every 5 minutes for a further 15-20 minutes (depending on the size of your peaches).
- Remove from the oven, and dish to allow to cool slightly.
- Peel carefully, cut in half removing the stones and return to the dish for a final coating of the vermouth syrup.
- Serve immediately.