Sea trout - the wild season has started and it is certainly the fish of the moment. Behaving like a salmon, the taste is somewhere between the two fish, absolutely delicious at this time of year and perfect for pairing with Asian flavours. This recipe is from our recent Instinctive Cook class and looks to the garden for flavours that will perfectly compliment the fish - fresh pea shoots, small sweet broad beans and the zingy crunch of radish. All growing in abundance.
Even if you only have a small garden, radishes are an easy vegetable to grow yourself, its not too late to sow, put in a couple of rows of seed and they will germinate in a week. There is nothing more delicious than a freshly picked radish and we are always looking for new things to do with them; we recently pickled thin slices in sake vinegar which was extraordinary, but for this recipe we have used the fermented umami flavours of miso to compliment the fresh summer tastes of the vegetables and the soft sea trout.
Preheated Oven 200°C
- 2 sea trout fillets
- Baby broad beans & broad bean tips
- Baby carrots
- Baby radishes
- Baby peas in their pods
- Coriander sprigs
For the Dressing:
- 25g white miso paste
- 20ml mirin
- 20ml rice wine vinegar
- Finely grated ginger & chili to taste
- 1 heaped tbsp sesame seeds
- In a small bowl combine miso, mirin, rice wine vinegar, ginger, chilli and seasoning. Whisk to combine. Meanwhile, toast the sesame seeds.
- Wash, top and tail the peas. Pod the broad beans. Wash and trim the carrots (cutting in half if necessary). Pod the broad beans and wash the tips. Blanch all the above in boiling salted water for 2 minutes. Refresh in ice cold water. Drain well and set aside.
- Prepare the radishes. Wash, trim and cut in half lengthways, reserving the young leaves.
- Season the fish skin well and place the fish skin side down in a pre-heated oiled frying pan. Lightly season the flesh & place in a pre-heated oven for approximately 5-8 minutes until the skin is crispy.
- Turn the fish over flesh-side down and roast for a further minute.
- Meanwhile, combine the salad ingredients, season, add the coriander sprigs, dressing and sesame seeds. Toss to coat.
- Serve with the roasted fish.
Each recipe contains a wine suggestion from our local wine supplier Vin Est
Download our menu with wine recommendations
Enjoy our June Dinner Party Menu Recipes Below