Pear, Cavolo Nero & Blue Cheese Salad, Cobnuts, Buttermilk & Honey Dressing
This fresh light salad is ideal as an autumnal starter, light lunch or supper. The pears have had a year of ideal growing conditions and the harvest is sweet and plentiful. It is also cobnut season, this green nut adds such a fresh seasonal flavour to the recipe; hazelnuts would also work, but if you can find cobnuts enjoy them before the season ends. For the leaf we have used young Cavolo Nero, but any fresh kale will work perfectly well, as long as the leaves are soft and delicate.
Serves 4 as a starter
For the salad:
- 2 Comice pears, ripe, sliced very thin
- 200 g Cavolo Nero leaves, washed, spun dry
- 200 g fresh cobnuts, de-shelled, cut in half
- 300 g Barkham Blue cheese (or any preferred creamy blue cheese), broken roughly into bite-sized pieces
For the dressing:
- 500 ml buttermilk
- 100 g clear honey
- Few drops of muscatel or cider vinegar
- Sea salt flakes
- Cracked black pepper
- For the dressing place all the ingredients into a bowl and whisk together to form the dressing. Taste and correct the seasoning if necessary.
- Place the pears, nero, and blue cheese in a large mixing bowl, gently toss all ingredients together.
- When nicely mixed, divide evenly between 4 serving dishes/bowls.
- Just before serving, scatter the cobnuts over each of the plates and either drizzle the buttermilk dressing over each one or serve on the side and allow your guests to help themselves.