Honey custard cups, gooseberries & elderflower
Fragrant and utterly delicious, this indulgent pud is the loveliest way to finish a summer dinner party.
- 250ml full fat milk
- 20g butter
- 2 strips of orange peel
- Pinch of saffron
- Half a vanilla pod (cut in half lengthways, seeds removed)
- 50g sifted plain flour
- 2 whole eggs
- 50g castor sugar
- 75g honey
- Pinch of salt
- Soft butter
- Handful of gooseberries
- 25ml Elderflower syrup
- Icing sugar
- 4 x tea cups
- In a small pan, combine the milk, butter, orange peel, saffron, vanilla pod and its seeds. Bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat. Cover with cling film and allow to sit and infuse.
- Butter the tea cups.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, eggs, sugar, honey and salt. Remove the orange peel and vanilla pod from the milk and whisk into the mixture.
- Place your tea cups on a baking tray and divide the mixture evenly. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, top, tail and wash the gooseberries. Place them on a small ovenproof dish, lined with greaseproof paper. Drizzle with the elderflower syrup and bake for approximately 5 minutes until just soft.
- Once cooked, remove the tea cups from the oven and garnish with 3 or 4 gooseberries, a little syrup and a dusting of icing sugar. Place on saucers and serve immediately.
Each recipe contains a wine suggestion from our local wine supplier Vin Est
Download our menu with wine recommendations
Enjoy our June Dinner Party Menu Recipes Below