This Easter there may be a few of us who breakfast upon a chocolate egg or two but for those who crave a heartier start to the day this deliciously indulgent baked egg dish is the perfect Easter treat. Fish is a breakfast staple across the world and with the protein punch of a really good egg, this will keep you going through all the Easter festivities. It makes a perfect supper dish too. Remember when shopping to look for the MSC’s blue tick for sustainably sourced fish and a naturally smoked haddock will reward you with a gentle smoked flavour that is perfect with the buttery yolk of a free-range egg.
- 200 g smoked haddock
- Sprig of thyme
- Clove of garlic
- Whole milk
- 100 ml double cream
- 1 medium potato
- Handful spinach
- Grated nutmeg
- 4 eggs
- Cover the smoked haddock, thyme & garlic with milk and poach gently until the haddock is just cooked. Set aside to allow the fish to cool in the milk.
- Peel and cube the potato and cook in salted water or a steamer.
- Wilt the spinach by lightly steaming.
- Drain the cooled haddock.
- Retain 200 ml of the milk and add the cream.
- Mix the fish, potatoes and spinach; season with salt, pepper and a little nutmeg.
- Divide the haddock mixture between two oven-proof dishes. Pour the milk and cream over and carefully break two eggs on top of each dish.
- Bake in the oven for 8 minutes until slightly golden and the cream is bubbling.
- Serve immediately.