Thyme's Hot Cross Buns
Happy Easter from the team at Thyme
- 450g plain flour, sifted
- 20g fresh yeast
- 50g soft butter
- 50g caster sugar
- 2 heaped tsp mixed spice
- 75g sultanas
- 50g currants
- 50g mixed peel
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 large egg
- 175ml milk
- 120g marzipan
For the crosses:
- 50g plain flour, sifted
- 4tbsp cold water
For the glaze:
- 50g Honey
- 25ml cream
- Pinch of mixed spice
- Oven : 190°C fan
Warm the milk and butter until the butter has melted and the milk is tepid. Beat the egg in a bowl and pour the warm milk mixture over. Mix to combine.
- Sift the flour into a large bowl and add the yeast, a pinch of salt and the spice.
- Pour the liquid into the dry ingredients and mix until it comes together to a dough.
- Tip onto a well floured surface and knead until smooth for about 5/10 minutes. Flatten the dough into a rectangle, then scatter over the fruit and zest, and knead briefly to distribute.
- Shape into a round and return to the bowl, cover, and allow to prove for one hour, or until doubled in size.
- Turn out onto a floured surface. Divide into 12 and roll each into a ball, with a knob of marzipan in the centre.
- Place on a lined baking sheet, cover and leave in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- To make the crosses, mix together the ingredients until you have a paste, and pipe a cross on the top of each bun.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and brush with the glaze.