Imli Baingain - Tamarind Aubergine from Chhatra Sagar
This tamarind aubergine recipe, Imli Baingain, was served at Chhatra Sagar during my travels in Rajasthan. The tented camp, perched high above a green oasis of cultivated fields was an extraordinary location to enjoy such a simple and delicious dish. Our chefs at Thyme have played with their recipe a little and this is the result, a dish where sour tamarind balances beautifully with the sweeter flavours of the dish - Caryn Hibbert
- 500g Aubergine (aprox 2)
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 long red chillis
- 2 tbsp tamarind paste
- 1 tbsp demerara sugar
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- aprox ¼ tsp salt
- Cut the aubergines into eighths lengthways, deep fry at 170°c until golden, drain on kitchen paper.
- Heat a wide-based saucepan, add the oil and the whole red chillis followed by the onion and cook until soft and translucent, taking on a little colour.
- Add the garlic and continue to cook for a minute or two.
- Then add the tamarind, brown sugar, chilli powder and salt, followed by the aubergines and cook for a further 4-5 minutes until the aubergines are hot.
- Adjust the seasoning and serve immediately with a dollop of yoghurt.