This fragrant curry powder is adapted from Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey recipe for a roasted curry powder. This version is not roasted, is lighter and perfect to spice a yoghurt as a dressing or to sprinkle over vegetables such as aubergines before grilling or frying. It is delicious in a dahl, reminiscent of travels in Sri Lanka and the rich pungent flavours of the region.
- 1 tbsp uncooked long grain or basmati rice
- 3 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1½ tbsp cumin seeds
- 1½ tbsp fennel seeds
- 7.5cm/3in piece cinnamon stick
- 1½ tsp fenugreek seeds
- ½ tsp cloves
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp telicherry peppercorns
- 3 dried red chillies
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- For the Sri Lankan curry powder, heat a heavy-based frying pan over a medium heat.
- Add the uncooked rice and cook for 2-3 minutes, shaking the pan regularly, until the rice is toasted and pale golden-brown.
- Add the remaining ingredients and grind.
- Store the Sri Lankan curry powder in an airtight jar for up to three months.