Sourdough Waffles with Baked Rhubarb
For April we have turned our thoughts to the most important meal of the day (well one of them - they are all important at Thyme) ... breakfast. The new harvest of garden rhubarb, replacing the delicate pink stems of the early season forced rhubarb, is tart, sharp and flavoursome. Baked and served with thick strained yoghurt and our sourdough waffles, this is the most delicious way to start your day.
If you do not have a sourdough starter you can acheive a similar taste by putting 100g plain flour, 100g water, 1g dried yeast in a lidded plastic container overnight. Equally you could use a griddle pan if you don't have a waffle-maker.
For the Baked Rhubarb:
- As much rhubarb as you would like with your breakfast
- Unrefined caster sugar
- Trim, wash in cold water and cut into 5cm pieces.
- Line a baking tray with grease-proof paper, sprinkled with unrefined caster sugar.
- Place the rhubarb on the paper and sprinkle with more sugar to taste.
- Roast at 160°c until the rhubarb starts to give a little, approx. 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool and then refridgerate (this will keep for 3-4 days).
For the Sugared Almonds:
- 100g Flaked Almonds
- 3 tbsp unrefined caster sugar
- 1 tbsp Amaretto
- Toss all ingredients in a bowl.
- Scatter on a baking tray lined with grease-proof paper.
- Bake at 160°c until the almonds have turned golden and the sugar has melted.
For the Sourdough Waffles:
Adjust for the size of your waffle-maker
- 2 large eggs
- 240g pastry and cake flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 150ml full fat milk
- 200ml butter milk
- 225g sourdough starter
- 60g of melted butter
- Sieve the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Whisk until well combined.
- Incorporate milk and butter milk
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs and milk until combined, add the butter.
- Add sourdough starter and whisk until completely blended.
- Add flour mixture and whisk lightly until combined.
- Use 1 cup measure per waffle.
- Cook in your waffle maker to golden.
- Serve the waffles with a good quality strained yoghurt, baked rhubarb and sugared almonds.