It is really important when cooking with flowers to ensure that they have not been sprayed, source from your own or a friend's garden and if that isn't possible a reliable supplier of edible flowers, there are lots to be found on the internet these days. This is a gloriously fragrant preserve with the texture of petals, it is utterly perfect with scones and cream. Capture the summer in a jar.
- 500g fresh rose petals
- 500g caster sugar
- 100ml lemon juice
- 30ml rosewater (optional)
- Remove the white heel at the base of the petals, as this is bitter tasting, wash & drain.
- Place the petals in a preserving pan, add 600ml of water & simmer until the petals are tender.
- Add the sugar & lemon juice and gently dissolve the sugar over a low heat.
- Now increase the heat and boil until setting point is reached (between 104°c & 105°c on a jam thermometer) adding the rosewater if the jam isn't as fragrant as you would like.
- Pour into sterilised jars and seal immediately.