Rhubarb Meringue Roulade
So much easier than you would think, this impressive dessert is soft, creamy and sharp with garden rhubarb ... the perfect combination. A scattering of elderflowers finishing it off.
For the meringue :
- 4 egg whites
- 180g caster sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla essence
- ½ teaspoon white vinegar
- ½ teaspoon cornfour, sifted
For the filling:
- Roasted Rhubarb
- 250g mascarpone cheese
- 175g Greek yogurt
- 50g icing sugar
Oven : 180ºC
To make the meringue
- Preheat the oven to 180º. Line a 23 x 33cm baking tray with parchment paper and lightly grease with oil.
- In a bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff. Gradually whisk in the caster sugar a little at a time and continue whisking until thick and glossy. Fold in the vanilla essence, vinegar and cornflour. Spread the meringue evenly into the prepared baking tray and bake for 10 minutes, then lower the temperature to 150ºC and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Dust another sheet of parchment paper with icing sugar.
- Remove the meringue from the oven and leave to cool for 2-3 minutes on the tray, before turning out onto the second piece of parchment paper.
- Cool for a further 5 minutes, then gently peel off the first sheet of parchment paper from the top of the meringue.
- Roll up the meringue from the long side until ready for use.
For the filling
- Put the mascarpone, yogurt, icing sugar and in a bowl and whisk together until thick. Unroll the meringue, spread the mascarpone mix over the surface, top with the roasted rhubarb. Re-roll.
- Refrigerate until required, and then serve in slices dusted with icing sugar.