All the vibrant, citrus flavours of summer are to be found in this sherry-based cocktail. The slight aniseed of fennel lifts the whiskey and our foraged meadowsweet syrup gives it a deliciously floral finish. It is not over-alcoholic and incredibly moreish. To learn more about meadowsweet follow the link below, and be mindful when you are preparing the syrup, make sure you shake each flower head carefully, they are magnets for insect-life.
- 25 ml fennel infused blended whiskey (we use Vat 69)
- 25 ml fino sherry (we use E. Hidalgo)
- 25ml fresh lemon juice
- 15ml meadowsweet cordial
For the fennel infused whiskey
- Use a large handful of feathery leaves to infuse 700 ml bottle of blended scotch whiskey.
- Infuse the whiskey in a jar for about 2 hours.
- Taste carefully, you want a mild taste and aroma, so be sure not to leave it too long.
For the meadowsweet cordial
- Make 500 ml of sugar syrup (1:1 sugar water) in a saucepan.
- While still hot, place 10 meadowsweet flower heads into the syrup, cover with a lid and leave to infuse until it cools.
- Strain into a sterilised jar or bottle.
For the cocktail
- Shake all ingredients together with plenty of ice.
- Double strain into a coupe glass.
- Garnish with lemon twist.