Broad Bean Top Bruschetta
Gardeners will be busy pinching out the tops of their broad beans in defence against blackfly this month, so if you don't have any of your own you may find a friend who will provide you with a few handfuls. They are fresh and evocotive of the May kitchen garden, but if you can't source any, try pea shoots, watercress or torn young chard.
- 4-8 slices of good quality sourdough
- A bowl of broad bean tops
- Olive oil
- 1/2 onion, finely sliced
- 3 cloves garlic
- Dried chilli flakes
- Salt & pepper
- 1/2 lemon
- Cerney Goats' Curd or similar
- Griddle your sour dough bread.
- Heat a frying pan, add 2 tbsp olive oil.
- Fry the sliced onion until soft.
- Add 2 sliced cloves of garlic and a pinch of dried chilli flakes and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Throw in handfuls of broad bean tops and stir fry to wilt.
- Season well and squeeze in the lemon juice.
- Rub the toasts with a garlic clove, top with goats' curd, the wilted greens and a drizzle of oil.