Friday's Asparagus Risotto
Friday - having saved the week's vegetable trimmings and made a quick stock ... who doesn't love risotto? Full of asparagus (still with some bite), finished with salty Pecorino and luscious butter ... and then pan-fried prawns. Whats not to love?!
For the risotto:
- 2 small onions finely chopped
- 250g risotto rice
- 700-800ml vegetable stock
- 60ml dry white wine
- 2 bunches asparagus, sliced, tips reserved
- 2 tbsp chervil or dill, chopped
- 40g butter
- 50g grated pecorino
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the vegetable stock
- vegetable trimmings
- 1 leek, finely sliced
Note: to make this dish a real treat serve with pan fried scallops or large prawns, and a wedge of lemon.
For the vegetable stock:
- Soften all the veg trimmings and the leek in a little butter.
- Cover with 500ml water and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Strain and discard the solids, reserving the liquid.
For the risotto:
- Soften the onion in a tablespoon of olive oil with a pinch of salt.
- Meanwhile, heat the stock. Add the rice to the onions and gently toast for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the wine, cook until almost evaporated, followed by enough stock to barely cover the rice. Add some seasoning and stir constantly, adding more stock every 5 minutes or so until the stock has been absorbed by the rice.
- After 10-12 minutes add the sliced asparagus, carry on cooking until the rice is just al dente.
- Stir in the butter, pecorino cheese, chervil and asparagus tips, adjust the seasoning and leave to sit for a few minutes before serving.
Enjoy the rest of May's supper recipes below
FIVE DAYS SHOPPING LIST ... Contact us & we will send by email