Shop-bought pastry is great for this quick tart - and an array of other toppings. Your only effort is to soften onions and create that tempting aroma in the kitchen, before baking and serving with a crisp green salad ...
- 500gms All Butter Puff Pastry
- 1 egg, beaten with a pinch of salt (egg wash)
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- Olive oil
- Small bunch thyme, chopped
- 80gms soft goat's cheese or curd
- 350-400gms ripe heritage tomatoes, tossed with a little olive oil & seasoning
- Salt & Pepper
- Preheat your oven to 200°c.
- Soften the onion in a pan with a good glug of olive oil and a pinch of salt. Cook gently, stirring occasionally, until soft and slightly caramelised. Add the chopped thyme. Allow to cool.
- Roll the pastry to form a rectangle approx. 28x18cm and 5mm thick. Use a strip of pastry to form an edge all the way round.
- Place on a flat baking tray lined with baking parchment.
- Prick the base with a fork, and brush with egg wash.
- Fill the pastry base with the onion mixture, and crumble over with cheese.
- Top with sliced tomatoes, or if small as we used, simply halved and place in the oven for 25 mins until golden.
- Allow to cool slightly and serve with a crisp green salad.
Enjoy further supper dishes below: