Friday's Dahl, Chapati & Chopped Salad
Fragrant spices carefully blended ... we started the week with the soothing flavours of South East Asia and we end with an equally fresh summer dish from Southern India. If you would like the recipe for our garam masala and homemade chapatis, simply add it to a request for the shopping list.
For the Dahl:
- 250g rinsed red lentils
- 1 large carrot grated
- 1 leek finely sliced
- 200g spinach
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp garam masala
- 3 sliced garlic cloves
- 2 chillies
- 1 tsp each mustard and cumin seeds
- 20 curry leaves
- 1 tsp salt
For the Salad:
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- 2 baby gems chopped
- 1 bunch radishes
- 1 handful of broad beans, double podded
- 1 shredded carrot
- Coriander and mint leaves
- 1 red chilli sliced
- 2 lemons
- olive oil
- Heat the oil, add the leek and carrot and allow to soften.
- Add the garam masala and cook for a minute or two.
- Squeeze in the juice of 1 lemon, add the lentils, 1 split chilli, salt and 1 litre of water (or stock).
- Simmer for 25-30 mins until soft. Stir in the spinach to wilt.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a small pan and add the mustard and cumin seeds, sliced garlic, chilli and curry leaves. Allow the garlic to become golden.
- Pour into the dahl and stir to combine.
- Serve with chapatis, chopped salad and yoghurt
Enjoy the rest of June's supper recipes below
FIVE DAYS SHOPPING LIST ... Contact us & we will send by email