Like so many restaurants nationwide, this month the kitchens at Thyme & The Swan are supporting UNICEF's 'Next Generation' campaign to bring humanitarian aid to the children of Syria, This fund-raising initiative has been spearheaded by instagrammer @clerkenwellboyec1. “We hope that through the #CookforSyria campaign we will not only be able to raise significant and much needed money for Unicef UK’s Children of Syria Fund, we will also increase awareness of the plight of children in the war-torn country. Through cooking, sharing recipes and the power of social media, we invite everyone to help make a difference and positive contribution towards this important initiative.” Clerkenwell Boy
This recipe brings the flavours of Syria and the Middle East to the English countryside and the seasonal produce from our kitchen garden. It is a flexible dish that can be adapted to the contents of your store cupboard, use cous cous if you don't have bulgar wheat, add preserved lemons or pomegranate, use more or less chilli according to taste. It goes perfectly with the Syrian bread Manoushi, or a simple flatbread made with buckwheat and yoghurt.
- 4 pheasant breasts, no skin
For the Marinade:
- 150ml olive oil
- Juice 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp sumac
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Generous pinch of very good sea salt
For the Tabbouleh:
- 85g bulgar wheat
- 6 vine ripe tomatoes, seeded and cut into small dice
- 250g baby spinach leaves or chard, chopped
- 1 large bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 small bunch fresh mint, roughly chopped
- ½ tsp sumac
For the Dressing:
- 5 tbsp good quality Greek yoghurt
- Splash of lemon
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
For the Garnish:
- Handful of pistachio nuts, chopped
- 1 chilli, sliced
- Mix your marinade ingredients together and leave the pheasant breasts in the mix for 30 minutes.
- Cook the bulgar wheat using a good quality stock, we used game but a rich chicken stock will work just as well.
- Once cooked, fry the bulgar wheat a little to bring out its nutty flavours.
- Mix all the salad ingredients together and add to the bulgar wheat.
- Char the pheasant breasts in a skillet or on a grill for 4-5 minutes until caramelised, rest for a further 4-5 minutes.
- To make the dressing mix the ingredients with the remains of the marinade.
- Assemble your dish and top with the pistachio nuts and sliced chillis, or pomegranate, preserved lemons, more herbs .... let your imagination run wild!