The Southrop Manor Estate is a site of considerable antiquity, mentioned in the Domesday Book. Southrop Manor was almost certainly a monastic house at one time and in the garden is an example of a monk's stew pond. Later in the 14th century it became the property of the Dean and Chapter of St. Mary's College, Leicester and it remained Church property until the Dissolution of the monasteries in the 16th century.
At this time, the property was acquired by the Duchy of Lancaster until 1612, when it was bought by Dorothy Wadham, the first woman who was not nobility to found an Oxford College. She presented the estate as part of her endowment of Wadham College, Oxford, with whom it remained until 1926. It then passed into private ownership and was considerably re-modelled by Norman Jewson, architect-craftsman at the forefront of the Arts & Crafts movement, in the twenties and thirties.
The Hibbert Family bought Southrop Manor in 2002.